Monday, April 10, 2006

Well, thank goodness that's over.



Yesterday, Jenn performed at her final recital for her BMus portion of her BMus/BEd degree. How was it? Not nearly so terrible as we had been expecting. First off, the anxiety attack I had been expecting to grip Jenn at any second never arrived, thus my only duties all day were to cook her a steak for breakfast, load and unload equipment and food in the rain, ice five dozen cupcakes, ride herd on the assorted concert-goers in order to ensure that intermission eventually ended so that Jenn could start playing again, and then cleaning up and loading the truck afterwards and driving Jenn to the BBQ at her parents house for the combined double-birth-a-versary-recital party where I was supposed to bbq a pile of burgers and hotdogs, but Malcolm did it for me. (Malcolm is now officially my hero and favorite houseguest of all time, even though he will tell you he isn't coming and then show up out of the blue with your brother in tow wanting to do something for the evening on a half-hour notice. Let me just take this chance to apologize for my role in his vehicular dragging that one time, but to be fair, it was mostly C.H.'s fault, since she was driving.)

As for the recital itself, Jenn played great! She totally rocked the house with the Quantz Concerto, to much approval during intermission. She also looked a vision in her lovely new blue gown and fancy earrings. There were a few little problems in the Hindemith, but really, nobody could tell who wasn't familiar with it (and if any of you have talked to me on the phone for the last two months, you have heard it, over and over).

This has led me to a number of happy sidebars. First, I got a total haul for my birthday. I got a book of ingredients (it's way better than it sounds. It is a full colour encyclopedia of obscure ingredients which are called for in any number of my Australian cookbooks.) A cookbook holder, a *framed* certificate proclaiming me to be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta, the first season of Battlestar Galactica 2.0 on DVD, and a (loaner) copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume 1, until I can find my own copy used. More on this later, although, I will not be doing anything as insane as the Julie/Julia Project.

Jenn got a ton of flowers which are now happily sitting in a lovely crystal vase we got for a wedding present, making the house as nice as it gets right now, what with the no cleaning for so long. She also received a totally cool set of towels with a flute embroidered on them and the date of her recital, which I thought was awesome cool, and so did she. She took them to her repertoire Class today to show off to the (inevitably jealous) other students.

After all the ladies and Jenn's Grandpa got paraffin manicures, we went back to our apartment with some folks, and then to the Hardisty pool for a soak in the hot tub, which was just what the doctor ordered, then to BP at Capilano where Jenn enjoyed a blender drink of somewhat more complex proportions than I am accustomed to making. All in all, a very successful day. Now all that is left for Jenn is to finish a major assignment, do a commentary on her conducting project, and prepare for her Jury on the 14th, and then start cramming for her finals. Yes, we are bound for nothing but relaxation in the next couple of weeks, I assure you, compared with the last couple of weeks.

No comments: