Sunday, July 23, 2006

Taste of Edmonton

So today we went to the Taste of Edmonton festival, where about 20 different food outlets have a booth doing 2 different dishes, and you pay with tickets. It's kinda like a culinary midway. The Heritage Festival is similar, but then it is more ethnic and more different foods per booth, and it is in the park instead of Churchill Square. Anyway, here's my review of the food I had:

Botanica:
Buffaloaf with Caramelized Onion Gravy: Tasted like sage stuffing.

Brewster's Brewpub:
Lobster Penne: Tasted good. Had some lobster in it. It was pub pasta, how good does it get?
Deep fried Cheesecake: Okay, you read the name, right? That's what it was. A heart-attack in a bowl. I was in favour.

Hoang Long:
Green Papaya salad with Beef Jerkey: Way cilantro. Way way cilantro.

Korean Village:
Vegetable Tempura: Like all deep fried veg, it was good. It was really good with Ponzu and chillie sauce.
Bul-Go-Gi Chicken with Kimchi and Rice: The kimchi was better than the chicken. Neither was as good as the tempura.

Krua Wilai:
Penang Beef with Rice: It was Thai Curry. It was okay, I make better.

La Tapa:
Patatas Aioli: Potatoes with garlic mayo. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I want this again, enough for me to bother to make my own mayonaise.

Lakeside Grill:
Seafood Paella: Not as good as the stuff at Las Caletas, for which I have the recipe, and would make if anyone I knew would eat it with me. I can't eat a whole paella myself, you know.

Martinique Cafe:
Grilled west coast salmon: Dry, but it came with a sauce of capers and tomatoes. Happily, I didn't pay for it, I had a bite of someone else's.

Polka Cafe: Potato pancakes: Greasy, but good. This is the sort of thing I would make if I ever had leftover mashed potatoes, but to do that, I would need to have mashed potatoes to begin with.

Sutton Place Hotel:
Cappacino Chocolate shooter cup: Dark chocolate cup filled with coffe-cream. Uh, what part of this might not be good? None? None less good? Yeah, that's about it.

That's Aroma:
Garlic Tomato Salad: Plenty of garlic. I liked it. I might make it someday, If I find a recipe I like.

No comments: