Sunday, July 09, 2006

Furniture Assembly and the Inevitable

Today, Owen and I finally broke down and bought a futon frame to put our futon mattress on. Our futon mattress is still at my parent’s house, and they have been after us to take it for two months now. Anyhow, we now have our new futon fame assembled and in place in the living room. It was really the last piece of furniture we were waiting for until we would feel completely settled into our new apartment. Well, today would be the day, or at least 99% closer, the 1% coming after we picked up the mattress, but we still can’t have our living room to ourselves. You see, shortly before we left for our trip to Victoria, I noticed that our walls, which had been freshly painted the day we moved in, were suddenly yellowing. Then, I recalled a few days earlier when I had been trying to put up pictures on that wall. The nails were not sitting well in the drywall. I really didn’t think much of it at the time and continued to put my pictures up anyhow. Well, in addition to the yellowing walls tipping me off, our framed poster I had put up on the wall was starting to bubble, the matting was also bubbling and the ink running! YUCK!
Anyhow, I phoned the building management, and they sent someone up immediately. It turns out the people beside us had just phoned as they were having the same problem, as were the people upstairs (go figure.) At the beginning of May when we had all that rain, we had heard grumbling from people on the higher floors up (17 and 18 so way up) that they were having some flooding from the roof. We didn’t think much of it, being on the 6th floor. The water seems to have seeped down the walls along the support columns soaking the dry wall and oozing its way down towards the ground floors, as gravity would of course have it do. Yuck. Well, I reported this BEFORE our vacation. We were gone nearly two weeks and have now been back for over a week and still have no idea what is going on. Some one was supposed to come back and do a more thorough assessment of the damage, but we have no idea when to expect the repairs to be made. So needless to say, all of our stuff is pulled away from the wall in affected area, and is of course sitting in a pile in the middle of the living room. This would explain why we do not have our living room arranged as we would like it just yet. The frustration!
Also, today Owen and I assembled our porch swing. My parents and Grandparents bought it for us as an anniversary gift. Our anniversary isn’t until the end of the month, but the wanted us to have it now so we could enjoy it in this beautiful weather. Our patio is now complete at least.
Now, if only any furniture assembling story could be that dull. Owen and I did manage to assemble both pieces of furniture today, without getting angry at each other and fighting about who is sticking piece Nb into Ma when it should go into Bq with a Bc bolt instead of a Er bolt….Damn assemble it yourself furniture….You know how it goes. Anyhow, we actually managed the construction fairly well, we were a good team, but furniture assemble would not be complete without the war wounds. As were putting one post up and bolting them together I lost my grip on post and slashed the inside of my arm on a sharp “thingy”. I am now sporting a bloody, oozing gash on the inside of my arm which is about four inched long. Then the inevitable occurred. My husband, the eternal head bonker, got bonked over the head with a post. This was doomed to have happened, it’s just something that happens whenever Owen is involved in furniture construction. We aren’t completely sure how it happened this time and he would like to blame me for his misfortune, but I don’t think I was responsible for it although it may have been a joint effort… Anyhow, the furniture is now assembled whether or not we are is another question.

Tomorrow I am back in school every day for three hours a day for the next six weeks. I will be taking two of my Educational psychology courses which I require as part of my practicum curriculum. The first course is all about inclusion in the classroom and working with children with special needs. Not my favorite areas of study, but I have to take it anyhow. I am starting to get excited about actually doing my practicum. Maybe, it’s because after that I am finally finished and can get a real job and then we can stop living like students…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His head: very sore.
His furniture: assembled.
At least he can sit.