Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Food Review

I have eaten at J's diner a couple of times now, and I am just getting around to the review. It is a dive-y little hole in the wall across the street from my office next to a little caesar's and a Macs. Naturally, I chose to eat at the locally owned and operated joint. They have a sub counter, a couple of donair meat rotating kebabs, an ice cream counter, and a countertop fry-o-lator. Their menu runs to basically a very few things: Donairs of all varieties as long as you want donair meat. This is not the kind of place where they have chicken breast donairs. Tacos. Subs. Ice Cream. Assorted things that can be fried up from frozen.

The guy who runs it (I'm presuming that this is "J" (which I assume is short for Jalalabad, or something to this effect) speaks an undetermined amount of English, particularly as it applies to non-donair related topics. He works pretty slow, but boy, does he make a mean donair, and I love a good donair.

The decor is Formica, ancient video game, and pool table, with Canadian Geographic for Kids on the TV, and a pull down screen for movie nights. This place is only open late on the weekend - it is strictly a lunch kind of place. There are cases and cases of empty beer bottles stacked on the counters, but no beer on the menu. I would be shocked if the place had a liquor license, but my assistant assures me that years ago when she was underage, it was a choice location to hang out and score no-ID beers. My feeling on that is that the beer is generally behind the counter in the meat cooler, and a person with the appropriate $4 a bottle could get what they needed.

All in all, this is my kind of dingy little hole. The dingier the hole, the better the food, is the general rule, and this place has proved no exception. It gets four pints of strong middle-eastern coffee and one can of crappy bootleg beer.

No comments: