Sunday, December 10, 2006

My hobby is messy.

Today I tried something a bit different with my beer. I pitched a yeast starter into my beer. That is to say that instead of putting a little yeast in my beer today, I put a little yeast in some unfermented beer two days ago in a gallon jug on top of my fridge, and put all that in my beer today. Then, because I was in a hurry, I put an airlock on the whole affair and went out to a friend's for supper for a few hours, secure in the knowledge that in the past it had taken at least overnight to get a vigorous fermentation going in my beer.

When we got home, the airlock had been blown completely off the carboy, and there was beer foaming out of the top.

Mopping at midnight is so much fun. On the up side, it seems like this beer will ferment out nicely, it sure is going hard.

2 comments:

K. Donovan said...

See, this is why Mom and Dad do their fermenting in a disused sauna bath.

K. Donovan said...

Or rather

This is why the 'rents
Do all of their fermenting
In a sauna bath.