Sunday, March 25, 2007

okay. You got me.

So for everyone who made it possible for me to not realize that I had a surprise (late) birthday party coming to me, thanks.

To everyone whose idea it was to get me to the location by saying that my sister-in-law had just scalded herself with a gallon of boiling water - not so cool - you will get yours.

It was pretty cool, though, a long cry from the four years in a row I had to bake my own birthday cake. I kinda like this whole "someone knows I'm alive" thing. I could get used to it.

Then tonight we had the college & careers fondue. We provided a fondue Neufchatel, which rocked. There were also a couple of attempts at Fondue Bourginon, which were, well, oil fondue, which is good for a party of 4-6, not so good for 14. The sauce Bearnaise was made with becel margarine and a package of Bearnaise mix from Safeway. Mennonites assume margarine and butter work the same in cooking. Not so much.

Anyway, it all tasted good. We also played "Apples to Apples" which is a rockin' cool game. Now I am going to go to bed.

3 comments:

Suz said...

I'm so sorry I couldn't be there! I tried very hard to fit it into my schedule and budget, but just couldn't make it. I felt guilty about not coming (you two made it up to my birthday party last year!), but I figured you'd understand that I was going to get to see you in two weeks. I'm glad that they got you and that you had a good time.

K. Donovan said...

Ahem. You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Hi Owen,
Glad they actually surprised you (even though I thought they would have had a better reason to get you there). Sorry I missed your birthday... I was celebrating my own and Yemisi ended up throwing me a suprise party the same day. Hope you are doing well and all the best.